Sunday 25 August 2013

1920s dress

I have a friend's hen do in a couple of weeks and the theme is 1920s flapper. Well as any curvy girl knows the traditional flapper girl isn't the most boob friendly design.
So I did what any maker does, any just made my own. I looked around at images of 20s dresses that didn't include fringing and came up with my own design.
I nipped into town yesterday and picked up some fabric, not sure what it is, there was just one roll in this color, but as far as I can tell it's a cotton/viscose blend, but in a gorgeous pink/coral shade. I also picked up some wide flat lace trim, and a few meters of embroidered and sequinned trim for decoration.

 
It was a simple draft, pretty much a tube dress with slight bust darts, I know darts aren't particularly authentic, but when you have bigger boobs.... then it was just a simple angular cut for the neck line and arm holes.


The arm holes and hem are overlocked, the arms then top stitched down. The neck line is faced. The trim and lace were just  sewn on top, the bottom trim encapsulating the bottom hem, and just peeking off to bottom edge to give the dress a softer bottom line. 

No comments:

Post a Comment